Sunday, July 09, 2006

HEAVEN on a Sunday afternoon

From the window of my bed in New Mexico, I could see Taos mountain--all soft and sinewy--like the rolling curves of a woman lying on her side, flushed green with her passion for the chilly caresses of the broken sky. He withdrew from her--saturated blue just beyond her grasp and I knew longing as I rolled onto my side and watched the mountains breathe.

At night, my roommate sometimes mumbled in her sleep. Prayers for the preacher husband she'd left in the drenched swamps of Florida.
"I've fucked a priest," she announced during our first dinner. She read my Irish-Italian lapsed Catholic face and grinned wickedly as she touched my hand.
"Episcopal priest," she laughed, "I had just married him."
Then his name--my husband's name--rippled through her dreaming body and I thought, if I could write her life, I could write.

From my New Mexico bed, I could see a clothesline where magpies gathered at dusk. Decades on the earth and I'd never seen them before. Their eerie cries from the pinion frightened me--their flash of pure white hidden in the black shadows of their folded switchblade wings.



Beneath the black and white pictures of M. and my babies I'd tacked on the adobe wall--I felt a delightful insomnia flood my veins. They smiled at me, saints fixed in our sacred moments...and, from the ceiling above the steady creaking of floorboards...rhythmic, slow, cyclical. I wasn't the only one not sleeping.

From my bed in New Mexico--I listened to my upstairs neighbor, Natalie Goldberg, walking in circles in the heart of night. The bleached lace curtains stirred in the first breeze of the evening and I wondered how I'd landed inside the walls of the historic inn where ghosts of Georgia O'Keeffe, Frida Kahlo, and D.H. Lawrence stalked the mesa. Georgia had hated the idea of communal creation and fled from this place to reclusive land of her own. Frida came with Diego in a dark spell, longing for family and Old Mexico--lasting only a brief summer her first visit before fleeing for home. Lawrence never really managed to escape and painted fantastical murals on the windowpanes in the main house, overwhelmed with the rugged emptiness just beyond the glass. (You can see these in the second picture above).

They were here and I was here, and Natalie was here. Natalie, whom I'd fallen hard for as a teenaged girl, sitting under a tree with her only novel in my lap. Like everyone who has read her, I wanted to embrace her when we met like we were old friends and she would be as thrilled at the sight of me as I was her. It took two full weeks for me to accept the new lines on her face--not on the book jacket photo version of her smile...to not be wounded by her firm sense of formal distance from us. All of us. Natalie was a human being--just like me. Not a guru, not a magical goddess with a bag of writing secrets. She got sick--coughed a lot the first week. Stayed in silence even when she lifted it from the rest of us. She sometimes took dinner into her room and ate alone. She didn't want to hear how wonderful she was. The Great Failure was just out and it was a hard book to write. She was a touch wrung-out, a touch talked-out, a touch injured--even in all of her strength.

From my bed in New Mexico, I listened to her slow-walking meditation, the floor groaning, the wild land outside my window. This is still America, I whispered to myself. C. murmured in her sleep and I rose from my bed to perch in the worn upholstered chair in the corner. Here the moon filtered in like a nightlight and I took up a pen and wrote everything I could about where I was.

Strange images hit the page--creation myths I didn't know. There was blood in the red clay soil, heart-shaped rocks leapt from the land into my pockets. The kind bed with its soft flowered quilt couldn't hold me. I wrote until my hand cramped, until the restless mountain woman went violet with sunrise--then I fell between the sheets and closed my eyes--but didn't sleep.
Link

11 Comments:

Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Ah, gorgeous! What an amazing retreat that must have been! I've loved Natalie Goldbery since I was a teenager, too, and I waited on her once at the bookstore where I worked in college and I was in awe and she was a bit austere, but I didn't mind. It must be hard to be adored by so many! I love your description of the inn and its history and especially the magpies with their "switchblade wings." Great!

12:40 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

This is just beautiful! So beautifully-written and evocative of the place - I miss New Mexico! Thanks for your lovely piece and for reminding me of one of my favourite places on earth!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You are a gifted writer. I loved the sleeping woman mountain and the way your words allowed me to share that evening with you. Superb!

4:08 PM  
Blogger claireylove said...

I love how you have written this, immersed in the trip, so little 'outside' commentary.
I am in awe of your personal insight into Natalie but mostly your first hand experience of New Mexico.
But then again, I am convinced your writing could persuade me to want to visit almost anywhere! Still, luscious post :-)

4:19 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Beautiful. It sounds like something I would love to do! Someday. And every time I hear someone speak of New Mexico, it makes me want to go.

:)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Verity said...

Wow, what electrifying, beautiful writing. Quiet, knowing, but so electric.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly a sensuous and magical peice... And it has given me more images of New Mexico. It seems NM has been up for me lately as I have also been emersed in another fabulous woman's work from New Mexico. Check out her images. She is amazing, and has taken many pictures of her New Mexico...
www.flickr.com/photos/jenniferesperanza

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

I loved raw "nature" of the setting and your experience that night as you lay awake. Your words made me hear and see and feel what it must have been like to be there under that moon. Thanks for sharing this!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The imagery in this was amazing! I felt as if I was in the room, communing with the ghosts of those great visitors and feeling my own restless soul.
You are so gifted.
a.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

I love to read your stories of New Mexico and Natalie... i was there with you... the rocks leaping in to your pockets as your pen blazed across the page... i was there x

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful writing! Through your words, you took me there, to that inn in New Mexico.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.